Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - ne…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - needs your input
Hi,

I've taken a look at the blueprint -- congrats, great work!
Here are a few comments.

> SHOULD
> ======

> * be a secure platform

What does this mean?

> * provide feature to write/read comments between translators

Would the existing teams happily migrate all their discussions (e.g.
reviews and follow-up communication) to that new forum, or would
both coexist?

> MAY
> ===

> * provide context of the translation

I don't really understand how this can merely be a MAY when we're
talking about translating a website. Maybe I'm just thinking of
something else, that's not on the blueprint yet, so I'll elaborate.

I would see what follows as a MUST when translating web pages
(especially for translators who won't build the website themselves,
because they're not using Git): "allow translators to view, in the
correct order, all strings that come from the entire page being
translated, both in English and in the target language".

> * send email notifications

It isn't very clear when/what/to whom.
Anyway, that's merely a MAY, so it's probably no big deal :)

What do you think?

Also, I see that "provide user roles (admin, reviewer, translator)" is
only a SHOULD. This raises a few questions (not necessarily urgent
ones, just process stuff to keep in mind):

* Would we allow translation from unregistered contributors, or only
from logged-in users?

* If we don't have such roles, how do we ensure that each translated
string has been reviewed?

Do we want to add something about the compatibility of the web
interface with assistive (accessibility) technologies? I hear that
heavy-JS-based stuff doesn't always gracefully degrade well enough to
support these tools.