Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - ne…

Author: Muri Nicanor
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - needs your input
hi,

On 03/20/2015 12:55 PM, u wrote:
> Our (website) translation infrastructure has a pretty high barrier for
> new translators, especially those who are not familiar with Git and/or
> the command line.

yes, thats true, although i must say, the howto for translating with git
[0] is really good and helps a lot. i used this to do my first steps
with git and i think its a nice way to get into using git. but i also
sometimes crave a simple webinterface and i totally understand people
not wanting to get into git to help translating...

> MUST
> ====
> * integrate with Git (push and pull)
> * provide a usable easy web interface

i would add 'privacy sensitive' to the features of the webinterface.
there are some SAAS, like transifex, which are run by some company and
although they do good stuff for some opensource projects, i don't really
trust them. if possible i'd prefer a service by some tech collective -
but i also know that there's maybe no such service out there...

> SHOULD
> ======
> * provide support for Git branches (we could also agree upon translation
> only master through this interface)
> * should provide checks for inconsistent translations
> * provide user roles (admin, reviewer, translator)

i think it also would be great to have some kind of bug reporting
feature for missing strings, missing pages, wrong or outdated
translations...

cheers,
muri

[0] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/with_Git/