Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - ne…

Author: u
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - needs your input
Hi,

sajolida:
> u:
>> Here is my summary:
>
> I'm a bit sad to see that not many translators have taken part in this
> discussion so far :(

me too.

>> MUST
>> ====
>>
>> * integrate with Git (push and pull)
>
> I'm not sure about the "push". At least we don't want to have that
> platform pushing to our main repo, but rather us pulling from it from
> time to time. So then I'm not sure where else it should "push" stuff.

I thought it'd be interesting to allow translators who use Git through
the command line nowadays to continue to do so. And thus, we should be
able to push new PO files to the platform as well.
But it might not be necessary - but in that case, we'd all need to use
the webinterface.

>> * provide a usable easy web interface
>>
>> SHOULD
>> ======
>> * provide support for Git branches (we could also agree upon translation
>> only master through this interface)
>
> What do you mean by "Git branches"? From the most crazy to the less:
>
> 1. Do we need to allow translators to create their own branches?
> 2. Do we need to allow translators to work in any existing branch?
> 3. Do we need to allow translators to work on some branches?
>
> I'd say 1 (MAY), 2 (MAY), 3 (MUST or SHOULD on master, devel, stable).

I simply thought about the master and testing branches, not individual
branches.

>> * should provide checks for inconsistent translations
>
> What do you mean by that? Could you give me an example of inconsistency
> that could be detected by such a machine?

Missing variables, missing punctuation signs, missing line breaks...

Cheers,
u.