Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - ne…

Author: u
To: tails-l10n
New-Topics: [Tails-l10n] Translation platform security and threat model [Was: Discuss our translation infrastructure - needs your input]
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - needs your input
Hi,

intrigeri:
> I've taken a look at the blueprint -- congrats, great work!
> Here are a few comments.

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Answers inline.

>> SHOULD
>> ======
>
>> * be a secure platform
>
> What does this mean?

A platform which has been audited or tested enough to avoid malicious
injections I guess.

>> * provide feature to write/read comments between translators
>
> Would the existing teams happily migrate all their discussions (e.g.
> reviews and follow-up communication) to that new forum, or would
> both coexist?

In my opinion, the mailing list and those comments could co-exist. But
we would need to define what can be discussed on the interface and what
should be discussed here.

>> MAY
>> ===
>
>> * provide context of the translation
>
> I don't really understand how this can merely be a MAY when we're
> talking about translating a website. Maybe I'm just thinking of
> something else, that's not on the blueprint yet, so I'll elaborate.

> I would see what follows as a MUST when translating web pages
> (especially for translators who won't build the website themselves,
> because they're not using Git): "allow translators to view, in the
> correct order, all strings that come from the entire page being
> translated, both in English and in the target language".

Ack.

>> * send email notifications
>
> It isn't very clear when/what/to whom.
> Anyway, that's merely a MAY, so it's probably no big deal :)

Send email notifications to reviewers whenever new strings have been
translated or updated.
Send email notifications to translators whenever a resource is updated.

> What do you think?
>
> Also, I see that "provide user roles (admin, reviewer, translator)" is
> only a SHOULD. This raises a few questions (not necessarily urgent
> ones, just process stuff to keep in mind):
>
>  * Would we allow translation from unregistered contributors, or only
>    from logged-in users?

I'd rather not allow translations from non logged-in users, as this
would make it hard to keep track of modifications. However, we could
provide a cypherpunk account for users who don't want to provide
personal details [1]

>  * If we don't have such roles, how do we ensure that each translated
>    string has been reviewed?

Hm, I guess we MUST have such roles.

> Do we want to add something about the compatibility of the web
> interface with assistive (accessibility) technologies? I hear that
> heavy-JS-based stuff doesn't always gracefully degrade well enough to
> support these tools.

I don't think that there are many tools which do not rely on JS. For me
that is not a requirement. People who don't want to use JS, could still
translate directly via Git.

Cheers
u.

[1] http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Cypherpunk#Log_in_as_.22cypherpunk.3F.22