Re: [Tails-project] Mission and values (#16539): please comm…

Author: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Mission and values (#16539): please comment!
Hi,

sajolida:
> segfault:
>> The only comment I have is that the purpose of the
>> personality traits is not entirely clear to me, as well as what they are
>> grounded on. For example, I'd say that, especially part of our mission
>> and values, Tails should be 100% for everyone, and 0% for an "elite". I
>> also think that we are both very serious and ideological, but I don't
>> think we have to put that on our website (at least the latter).

> Yep. These personality traits were also the most unclear part for me
> when doing the activities during the summit and when synthesizing our
> work on this page. I'm not 100% sure what to do with them now :)

> But before ditching them I'll explain a bit more. To be sure that, if we
> remove them, it's for a good reason and not by a lack of understanding.

> [...]

Thanks for these explanations.

> I'm now wondering whether I should:

> * Clarify those traits with some text, à la Mailchimp.
> * Use different traits.
> * Move them to a different document.
> * A combination of all that :)

I can see how these traits can be useful in some cases. Given the
target audience you've described, I think they don't belong very well
on this page, and we should:

- move them elsewhere
- inline them in the revelant contribute/how/* pages (graphics,
documentation, etc.)

> Here are some sentences that could replace these sliders. They include
> the meaning I had put myself behind the sliders and somehow extend the
> rest of the document into something more actionable: I could see myself
> handing these to a visual artist or a writer to orient their style (or
> to improve my own style!).

>             -----8<-----

> Our style
> =========

> When using Tails, people trade off bits of convenience for some extra
> security. They might have very little time, be under stress, or physical
> threats.

> We take the safety of our users very seriously and we speak to them in a
> confident and reassuring way without being lighthearted or frivolous.

> Our style inspires trust but doesn't sound distant. Even though we
> address serious issues, we are always empathetic and encouraging.

> To be accessible to our diverse and global audience, we value clarity
> and sincerity above all. We provide state-of-the-art tools without
> over-promising or sounding elitist.

> What do you think I should do? Help! :)

I am undecided between the sliders vs. this text.

I think I care more about displaying this info only to its
target audience.