[Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: new prototype

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
New-Topics: [Tails-ux] Network off setting (was: Greeter revamp: new prototype)
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: new prototype
Hi,

>> Spencer:
>> - Make 'Off' or 'Disabled' the default state of the network.
>>

> Lunar:
> That is likely to surprise most Tails users. Even it would be the
> safest to disable the network by default, most people use Tails to
> access the Internet while protecting their privacy.

This is a manipulated expectation by makers to get data and results in
this dilemma.

I think most Tails users are seeking control, so allowing people to
decide for themselves if they want to connect to the internet is
important.

> Requiring them to reboot because they overlooked they had to change the
> default option is not going to give a good experience IMHO.

Network settings can be configured in the system when running, yeah? If
so, I see no issue. This would be no different than activating
Ethernet/Wi-Fi on other OSs.

Is the Greeter doing more than preconfiguring settings that can be
configured from the running system (other than for persistence)? If so,
this seems like an issue for established experiences like having full SU
control over the internet during use.

If rebooting is required, then I am against my proposal (also against
the protocol that makes this, and would reverse this from being, the
case).

Wordlife,
Spencer