[Tails-ux] Network off setting (was: Greeter revamp: new pro…

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Network off setting (was: Greeter revamp: new prototype)
Hi,

Spencer <spencerone@???> wrote:
> >> Spencer:
> >> - Make 'Off' or 'Disabled' the default state of the network.
> >>

> > Lunar:
> > That is likely to surprise most Tails users. Even it would be the
> > safest to disable the network by default, most people use Tails to
> > access the Internet while protecting their privacy.
> >

> This is a manipulated expectation by makers to get data and results in
> this dilemma.
>
> I think most Tails users are seeking control, so allowing people to
> decide for themselves if they want to connect to the internet is
> important.

It's why we have this choice in the greeter!

> > Requiring them to reboot because they overlooked they had to change the
> > default option is not going to give a good experience IMHO.
> >

> Network settings can be configured in the system when running, yeah?

No. Once network is disabled, there is no way to enable network
from the session (unless you set up an admin password and do weird
commands) - which is the goal of this setting! This is meant to setup an
air-gapped system.

> If so, I see no issue. This would be no different than activating
> Ethernet/Wi-Fi on other OSs.
>
> Is the Greeter doing more than preconfiguring settings that can be
> configured from the running system (other than for persistence)? If so,
> this seems like an issue for established experiences like having full SU
> control over the internet during use.
>
> If rebooting is required, then I am against my proposal (also against
> the protocol that makes this, and would reverse this from being, the
> case).

Rebooting is required, but that's part of the design goals of Tails I
think: if you choose to disable network, then you are guaranteed to
have no network until reboot.

Cheers.