[Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: clone

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: clone
Please make sure you've read the introduction to this discussion before
answering this email:

    https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-April/000370.html

When we first created Tails Installer, we introduced the notion of
"cloning": creating a Tails USB stick from another Tails USB stick.
Note, the persistent volume is not copied in this operation.

Note that currently you have to go through this to create a
full-feature Tails USB stick (for example if you want to use
persistence). At the end of the year people running Debian and Ubuntu
will be able to skip that step but not others.

In the web assistant we will advertise this as the easiest and fastest
way of installing Tails: if you already know someone who uses Tails you
can clone from her.

  - It might be less jargon in the web assistant to call this process
    "copy from a friend", instead of "clone from a friend".
  - But on the other hand, it might be less ambiguous to call this
    action "clone" instead or only "copy" in the interface of Tails
    Installer (and it's what we're doing already).
  - Still it would be good to use the same terminology in both cases.

See both screenshots in attachment. The one called
`copy-from-a-friend.png` is a very rough wireframe from the router
(the set of introductory questions).

The term "clone" is currently not referred to very often in our
documentation (only in /doc/first_steps/installation and
first_steps/upgrade) and used once in the splash screen of Tails
Installer.

What do you think?

--
sajolida