Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: clone

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: clone
u:
> sajolida:
>> Please make sure you've read the introduction to this discussion before
>> answering this email:
>>
>>     https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-April/000370.html

>> When we first created Tails Installer, we introduced the notion of
>> "cloning": creating a Tails USB stick from another Tails USB stick.
>> Note, the persistent volume is not copied in this operation.
>>
>> Note that currently you have to go through this to create a
>> full-feature Tails USB stick (for example if you want to use
>> persistence). At the end of the year people running Debian and Ubuntu
>> will be able to skip that step but not others.
>>
>> In the web assistant we will advertise this as the easiest and fastest
>> way of installing Tails: if you already know someone who uses Tails you
>> can clone from her.
>>
>>   - It might be less jargon in the web assistant to call this process
>>     "copy from a friend", instead of "clone from a friend".
>>   - But on the other hand, it might be less ambiguous to call this
>>     action "clone" instead or only "copy" in the interface of Tails
>>     Installer (and it's what we're doing already).
>>   - Still it would be good to use the same terminology in both cases.

>> See both screenshots in attachment. The one called
>> `copy-from-a-friend.png` is a very rough wireframe from the router
>> (the set of introductory questions).
>>
>> The term "clone" is currently not referred to very often in our
>> documentation (only in /doc/first_steps/installation and
>> first_steps/upgrade) and used once in the splash screen of Tails
>> Installer.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> For me, "cloning" is pretty straightforward as a term whereas "copy from
> a friend" is only _one_ possible scenario. It might thus lead to
> misunderstandings to use this terminology in general.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to call the action itself "clone" and to have a
> desription in the web assistant which describes this one possible
> scenario instead? Like a sort of subtext?

Thanks to both of you for commenting on this.

So it seems like "clone" is not problematic. We've been using it for a
while and it is also more specify (we use "copy" in many other places to
mean other things), so let's stick to "clone" and precise when needed
what it corresponds to in terms of scenario. Like in the router.

Tchou: What do you think? Shall we try what u proposes and rename "Copy
from a friend" as "Clone from a friend"?

--
sajolida