[Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different kind…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different kinds of Tails
Please make sure you've read the introduction to this discussion before
answering this email:

    https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-April/000370.html

When installing Tails onto a USB stick from Windows, and for the time
being, you need to go through two USB sticks:

  A. The first one being installed using UUI from pendrivelinux.com
  B. The second one being installed from the first one using Tails
     Installer.
  C. Then to be able to have a persistent volume you need to configure
     it and restart again.

Of course, we're working on simplifying all this through technical
means, but for the time being, this is what we have to explain to the
user. At least, until we port Tails Installer to Windows.

We've been looking for names to describe those three different kind of
USB stick to the user. So far we've came up with:

  - "Temporary Tails", for the USB stick created in step A. We want to
    push people to consider this only as a temporary step before getting
    to a "real" Tails, because such devices don't benefit from automatic
    upgrades (that's a security issue) and you can't create a persistent
    volume on them (that's a usability issue).

    Some people have proposed "pre-Tails" as well.

  - "Minimal Tails", for the USB stick created in step B. We want to
    convey the idea that this is a good-enough Tails but with limited
    features: you have automated upgrades but no persistence, though you
    can create one on the same device if you want.

    Some people have proposed "Tails" only for this one.

  - "Full-feature Tails", for the USB stick created in step C. This one
    benefits from automatic upgrades and has a persistent volume
    configured.

    Some people have proposed "Tails with persistence" for this one.

What do you think? Do you have anything better to propose?

Differentiating different "levels" of Tails installation like this is
something new in our documentation so we should feel free to do whatever
we want. Note that those terms might be later on integrated in our
software.