[Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: introduction

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
New-Topics: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media, [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different kinds of Tails, [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: persistence, [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: clone
Subject: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: introduction
Hi, as you might already know we are working in 2015 together with tchou
on a new web assistant for getting started with Tails. See the
introduction of this blueprint:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/assistant/.

Quote:

"The web assistant is a set of web pages that will merge our download
and install instructions into a single web tool. It will put emphasis on
the most frequent and recommended scenarios, and point to the rest of
the documentation for corner cases or more advanced usage."

I'm asking here you help and expertise on the terminology that we use to
describe the different steps and main concepts of a Tails installation.
This is a tricky task because we should consider that the user at this
point has very little knowledge of what Tails is because she probably
never used it yet.

I will now answer to this email to create subthreads about each one of
the terminology issues that we've identified. Please keep each issue in
its own thread.

Also take into account, that we have already been using most of those
terms already (for example, the term "persistence"), and that they are
often rooted in other parts of our documentation and software. I'll try
to make clear in each subthread what are the implications in terms of
"collateral damages" and how conservative we should be.

--
sajolida