Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to a…

Author: boyska
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)
intrigeri:
>> I have also dubts about esiliati.org, I'm not sure that is more than a
>> person, I used some of their tools, but I used safely only the stateless
>> service.
>>
>> They have not explicit policy, not founding plan, not decision making,
>> not comunication channel with the users. for what I know... maybe
>> someone can say that I'm wrong... please.
>
>On the one hand, you know that project better than I do, so I'm
>inclined to trust your judgment (although I have difficulties
>balancing it with boyska's, so perhaps you 2 can sort it out? :)

we did. The discussion was long, but I feel it was useful.

What are we asking?
-----------------------

Our ideal server is well maintained, has a commitment to be maintained
for "long time" (we don't know how much that really is; 5 years?), is
run by a vibrant community, has an help desk that actually helps users
in many languages (which ones? eurocentrism is a problem!), the
availability of such an help desk is well communicated to users.

Deciding if having an help desk is important was hard to do; it is not
clear if any user will complain with the MUC server if something doesn't
work. Perhaps they'll complain with their XMPP provider? or with us? we
aren't really sure, but help desk is clearly a bonus point.

Having a clear policy is also appreciated.

Is there anything like that?
-------------------------------

the esiliati.org vs systemli.org was stuck. One was lacking in user
support, the other was lacking in commitment over long time.
This tie was broken observing that we had problems joining and talking
in some systemli.org chat room. Maybe that was just the wrong day? but
that was it: as of now, systemli.org falls off the list of candidates.

We found that disroot.org runs an XMPP server that apparently works
well. Of course more testing is good, but at least a first batch of
joining channels and talking was done.
Their website has multi language support. It's still mostly european
languages, but that's the best we could find. They have some support
channels advertised. So everything seems good with them, except we don't
know much about their commitment with XMPP over the next years.

Our proposal
---------------

We can do those in parallel:

 a. start testing disroot.org chat rooms. intrigeri, can you be the one
    creating the chat rooms?

b. ask them about their future plans. I can do that.

By next week, or shortly after, we'll draw a conclusion. If both (a) and
(b) are good, then disroot.org will be the winner!

As for timings: the deadline of August 1 is approaching. It's a hard
deadline, meaning that the server will be shut down after that. But is
not as hard in terms of the consequences for the Tails project: one week
without public channel is not the end of the world.

with love,

--
boyska