Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to a…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)
Hi,

ignifugo (2021-07-19):
> And I don't know which are the plan after.. "replace xmpp with?"..
> lets go... with Discourse? is ok for me... but are missing
> informations. important to understand and seems a bit discredit the
> answer of Syster.

I believe the information you say is missing was mentioned in my
introductory email in this thread ("Proposal: migrate our public chat
rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)"):

- blueprint:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/blueprints/-/wikis/Migrate_from_xmpp.riseup.net/

- "Why not a more modern chat protocol?" section (where I also
explain why *I* would rather not open this can of worms right now,
⇒ why there's no "plan" yet)

In the future, I would be grateful if you could do minimal fact
gathering, before you express such judgments: as you can see above,
since you did not do that, facing public accusations, I felt urged to
do that homework myself, which I find unfair.

> I have also dubts about esiliati.org, I'm not sure that is more than a
> person, I used some of their tools, but I used safely only the stateless
> service.
>
> They have not explicit policy, not founding plan, not decision making,
> not comunication channel with the users. for what I know... maybe
> someone can say that I'm wrong... please.

On the one hand, you know that project better than I do, so I'm
inclined to trust your judgment (although I have difficulties
balancing it with boyska's, so perhaps you 2 can sort it out? :)

On the other hand, the time for such feedback was June 29 - July 11.
It would have been OK to ask for an extra week of delay or so, but
this did not happen. Since the July 11 deadline passed, I've set up
the 2 new chat rooms on esiliati.org, which a bunch of us have spent
time testing — thanks! I would like this work to be valued, which
I don't feel is the case if we silently ditch it as if it
never happened. So I'm hereby re-adding that work to the equation.

If we indeed have good reasons to ditch that work and re-do it from
scratch, fine.

> I would like propose to move on:

Given the time left before the migration, IMO it's too late to start
evaluating brand new candidates now. However:

> 1) https://www.systemli.org/en/service/xmpp/   -
> https://jabber.systemli.org/
> (https://compliance.conversations.im/server/jabber.systemli.org/)

It was indeed the other candidate. Quoting details from the blueprint:

"
- happy to host us
- XMPP server will run another 2+ years but not forever.
- They host a (beta as of today) Matrix server.
- They can help us transition to Matrix when their XMPP server goes away.
"

Personally, I'm OK with migrating these 2 chat rooms to systemli.org.
Nobody expressed objections to it since June 29 either so I understand
we have a rough consensus about it (just like we had one about
esiliati.org so far).

I'm fine with delaying the migration to next week (July 26-29) until
we make up our mind: thankfully, the original timeline had 1 spare
week to cope with surprises. However, delaying it any longer would
bring the risk to (temporarily) end up with no chat rooms at all; we
had a rough consensus against dropping these chat rooms (permanently).

Cheers!