Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to a…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)
Hi,

boyska (2021-07-22):
> Our proposal
> ---------------

I can live with this proposal to try out disroot.org. I'm not
motivated to invest much time into it myself (mostly because I am
entirely unconvinced by the relevance of the criteria that eliminated
esiliati.org) but I'll try to act with as much good will as I can :)

> We can do those in parallel:
>
>  a. start testing disroot.org chat rooms. intrigeri, can you be the one
>     creating the chat rooms?

As far as I understand it, in this context "creating" is essentially
equivalent to "being the first to join".

I've successfully joined tails-dev@???.

However, I tried to join tails@??? and got an error:
"Could not connect to chat.disroot.org".

I understand you successfully tested this sort of things already at
disroot.org, so perhaps you know better than me how to do it?

> As for timings: the deadline of August 1 is approaching. It's a hard
> deadline, meaning that the server will be shut down after that. But is
> not as hard in terms of the consequences for the Tails project: one week
> without public channel is not the end of the world.

Agreed.