Re: [Tails-dev] Let's share username, /etc/hostname and /etc…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: freepto, Abel Luck, Patrick Schleizer, matth
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Let's share username, /etc/hostname and /etc/host among all anonymity distributions
Hi,

I've just stumbled upon an issue [1] open by Jake on Subgraph OS bug
tracker, about this topic, so I thought I would close this thread
that's still lying in my inbox, and sum up the process that lead us to
a (not implemented) conclusion.

Last time we discussed it over 2013 and 2014, first on this list
(threads start at [2] and [3]), we ended up deciding [4] that we
preferred a shared username+hostname among anonymity/privacy-related
distributions.

The username that was settled upon is "user".

The hostname that was settled upon was "host" initially, and then most
of us preferred "debian"; but since the goal is to _share_ a common
hostname with other distros, prior art counts.

Patrick, what does Whonix use currently?

[1] https://github.com/subgraph/subgraph-os-issues/issues/26
[2] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-January/002457.html
[3] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2014-August/006736.html
[4] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/meetings/201412/#index2h1