Re: [Tails-dev] Let's share username, /etc/hostname and /et…

Author: u
To: The Tails public development discussion list, Abel Luck, Patrick Schleizer, freepto, matth
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-dev] Let's share username, /etc/hostname and /etc/host among all anonymity distributions
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Let's share username, /etc/hostname and /etc/host among all anonymity distributions
Hi,

Griffin Boyce:> intrigeri wrote:
>> As you can see in my comment #6 there, it's unclear to me what's best,
>> between sharing fixed values and randomizing it. Each solution has
>> pros and cons. What do you think?
>
> So I think that a better approach is to pick some themes that are
> common and create a list to randomly select from rather than generate a
> gibberish hostname.

I really like this approach which seems to be the golden middle path in
between the two initial options.

It would also defend against the scenario described by Tobias earlier in
this thread - as long as the list stays at a certain size, so that it
won't actually increase entropy (and thus make it more likely to be
deanonymized)?

> [2] Though my pocket router's access point is "Keith Alexander's iPad"

Cute! :))

Cheers!
u.