[Tails-ux] Greeter add privacy settings

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter add privacy settings
Hi,

Spencer <spencerone@???> wrote:
> >> Spencer:
> >> Here is how your thought fleshed out.
> >>

> > This is more clear, but was not what I was thinking of. I thought:
> >
> >                                Close/Cancel button
> > +-----------------------------------------+
> > |      Add custom privacy settings    |X| |
> > |                                         |
> > + +-------------------------------------+ |
> > | | Administrative account              | |
> > + +-------------------------------------+ |
> > | | MAC Spoofing                        | |
> > + +-------------------------------------+ |
> > | | Network configuration               | |
> > + +-------------------------------------+ |
> > | | Desktop camouflage                  | |
> > + +-------------------------------------+ |
> > +-----------------------------------------+

> > On click:
> >

> > Back button                     Close/Cancel button
> >    |                                   |
> >    v                                   v
> > +-----------------------------------------+
> > | |<|  Add custom privacy settings   |X|  |
> > |                                         |
> > | +-------------------------------------+ |
> > | | MAC Spoofing                        | |
> > | |                                     | |
> > | | Spoofing  MAC  addresses  hides the | |
> > | | serial number of your network cards | |
> > | | from local networks.                | |
> > | |                            _______  | |
> > | | MAC Address Spoofing:     |_on|___| | |
> > | |                                     | |
> > | +-------------------------------------+ |
> > +-----------------------------------------+

> Separating the two is good :) I was trying to avoid this extra click to
> see this info before adding is better than how this '+/-' feature
> functions in other OSs.

Let's try this flow then

> Maybe include the 'Add' button and place the backwards and cancel
> functions next to it? This aligns more with other similar dialogs in
> GNOME and their implementation in Tails but increases vertical height:
>
> +-----------------------------------------+
> |      Add custom privacy settings        |
> |                                         |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> | | MAC Spoofing                        | |
> | |                                     | |
> | | Spoofing  MAC  addresses  hides the | |
> | | serial number of your network cards | |
> | | from local networks.                | |
> | |                            _______  | |
> | | MAC Address Spoofing:     |_on|___| | |
> | |                                     | |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> |  _______              ________   _____  |
> | |_<Back_|            |_Cancel_| |_Add_| |
> |                                         |
> +-----------------------------------------+

> Otherwise, I am unsure of how to deal with 'Add' once these dialogs are
> separated.

Couldn't we put "Add" at the top, as buttons of "Settings" - "Region &
Language" - "Language" or of "Display" - [your display] ? I'm going
to try that.

> However, the cancel function isn't as smooth, as it requires a matching
> button and location on the listed dialog, so maybe we swap the location
> with that of the backwards function:
>
> +-----------------------------------------+
> |      Add custom privacy settings        |
> |                                         |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> | | Administrative account              | |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> | | MAC Spoofing                        | |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> | | Network configuration               | |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> | | Desktop camouflage                  | |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> |  ________                               |
> | |_Cancel_|                              |
> |                                         |
> +-----------------------------------------+

> +-----------------------------------------+
> |      Add custom privacy settings        |
> |                                         |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> | | MAC Spoofing                        | |
> | |                                     | |
> | | Spoofing  MAC  addresses  hides the | |
> | | serial number of your network cards | |
> | | from local networks.                | |
> | |                            _______  | |
> | | MAC Address Spoofing:     |_on|___| | |
> | |                                     | |
> | +-------------------------------------+ |
> |  ________               ______   _____  |
> | |_Cancel_|             |_Back_| |_Add_| |
> |                                         |
> +-----------------------------------------+

> > OK, let's go for that at least to add a new setting. To edit an already
> > added setting, I still think the popover might be better.
> >

> Then we should change the way 'Universal Access' functions, it seems,
> because they look the same. This looks difficult since there isn't much
> to hover over on those.

Sure we can't change 'Universal Access'...

> The hover function (popovers (with arrows)) becomes the expected
> function if the Greeter line items function this way, because they do
> look the same.

I don't know about which way you are thinking of. Universal access?
Currently GNOME folks are in the process of replacing small dialogs
with popovers (e.g. see latest Files in 3.18).

> >> Administrative Account
> >> -----------------------
> >> 'Log Out' might not be the best task, or label, but it seems
> >> reasonable.
> >>

> > No it doesn't make sense at all. Perhaps "Remove" or "Disable".
> >

> Well, people have just created (or at least enabled) an administrative
> account and logged into it at the same time, so 'Log Out' seems logical.
> 'Remove' would work, but people are really just reverting back to the
> default setting, which is 'Disable'.
>
> 'Disable' works well, it seems.

OK

> >> MAC Spoofing
> >> -------------
> >> Is there any issue with showing the real and spoofed MAC addresses?
> >>

> > What is the interest? One can't show the spoofed address before it is
> > spoofed, and the spoof will happen *after* the greeter.
> >

> More feedback. In the physical world, interactions rarely have remote
> affects; this level of clarity in an experience is ideal.
>
> If the address creation/selection happens after, then no worries; ignore
> this.

Let's ignore it for now then!

Network Settings
----------------

I think we need to rename that "Network Connection" or something
similar as all of these are settings, so the word doesn't convey very
useful information.

> > We really need the 3 options, including "Connect directly to the Tor
> > network", as we want to have a way to connect directly without being
> > bored by questions.
> >

> The OR option is best, then, as it provides an 'On/Off' switch and the
> two options in question, should 'On' be the case.

I'm really unsure as I find it less clear. I'll propose you a prototype
with my thought, but I'm open to change it later.

> > There is a problem, that we are in the process of
> > solving by improving the interface that will come *after* the greeter.
> >

> Where can I follow this development?
>
> > We can add a select mode, as in e.g. Gnome Documents.
> >

> I am unconfident in the use of check boxes. However, if it removes the
> double-click, I trust you to make it work (we can tweak it forever).

Let's try, but perhaps not for the prototype to be tested (not sure I
have the time!).

Cheers