Re: [Tails-ux] User testing of the installation assistant, …

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, tchou
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] User testing of the installation assistant, ISO verification extension, and Tails Installer in Debian
Giorgio Maone:
>> We'll actually be having a
>> sprint to put together all the pieces of the new installation process
>> between November 9 and 13.
>> [...] I haven't seen any code for the ISO verification extension and would
>> like to have an .xpi by then. Is that possible? How were you planning
>> your work Giorgio?
>
> After some discussions I had with Mozilla's add-ons/e10s team I've been
> trying to reduce as much as possible our extension's reliance on XPCOM
> through SDK's 'require("chrome")' (which is going to be deprecated one
> year from now), hence the delay over my original schedule.

Ok.

> Nevertheless by November 7 I'm going to update:
>
> 1) issue #8567, attaching the XPI to be tested
> 2) issue #9387 attaching a sample HTML installation page including the
> browser detection code and the relevant customizable HTML elements to
> implement the installation/verification process according to
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/921/extension-20150828.fodg

Great! You should base your work on [1] but surely adapt it to your
needs whenever needed.

tchou: I'm not sure where you are regarding the CSS/Bootstrap work for
this but you probably want to coordinate with Giorgio to avoid producing
two different versions of the current HTML code in parallel. Maybe both
of you should exchange Git branches that adapt this blueprint or something.

[1]: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/extension/prototype/

> 3) git-tails.immerda.ch committing the source code for both

I see that you already have a repo for the extension code. Also feel
free to ask tails-sysadmin@??? for a clone of our main repo if you
want to work on this blueprint in parallel with tchou for example.

> I'm also going to alert AMO's editorial board to have the extension
> hosted & signed before the user testing begins.
>
> Please let me know if I'm forgetting anything else needed from me by
> that date.

I don't think so. Have a productive week then :)