Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?
Hi,

> > Should we try with that?
> >

> Maybe. 'Language', 'Localization', and 'Language and Region' are the
> options; thoughts from others?

I'll try with "Language & Region"

> > Do you want to create an icon that wouldn't be confused with the
> > locked/unlocked states?
> >

> This sounds interesting but I am unsure of what better represents
> encrypted storage than the padlock (which ignores the storage part)
> other than a box of some sort... searches aren't very fruitful :(

Let leave with no icon for now then.

> > unless we adopt the "Reset to defaults" approach for each setting as
> > proposed above.
> >

> This doesn't support the removal of list items of choice (restricts
> experiential freedom).

Yes, I was thinking of a control like that in each popover.
Alternatively, we could just remove a setting from the custom settings
if they are set to the default value.

> > The shortened text you are proposing are unfortunately not very
> > accurate technically... and I'm not sure we can do accurate *and*
> > short.
> >

> Some are, such as 'Administrative Account (Provides SU access)'

Not sure. What about "Administrative Account (perform administrative
tasks)" (less jargon)

> and 'MAC
> Spoofing (Hardware Protection)' right?.

What about "MAC Spoofing (hardware addresses protection)".

> Propose alternatives to
> 'Network Configuration (Connection Settings)'

What about "Network Connection (bridge, firewall, proxy of air-gap)"?

> and 'Desktop Camouflage
> (Virtual Mustache)', which still seem technically accurate.

What is a mustache? What about "Desktop Camouflage (looks like another
operation system)"?

> > Sort of, but encryption pass*phrases* must really be phrases, while
> > admin access with a pass*word* is OKish...
>
> Do you mean there is restriction coded into the function, such that
> restricts length and stuff? If so, can we do the one that allows the
> most freedom and just label it 'Passphrase'?

There is no restriction, but more entropy is required for a passphrase
for an encrypted container than for an admin account.

> > The problem is that you propose a widget that, unless I'm mistaken,
> > doesn't exist in GTK. Have you found working examples?
>
> IDK. It seems like the label:
>
> 1. Is inside the field (or appears to be)
> 2. Has a background color
>
> But it isn't important, so do what you think is best.

I think your proposal is good, but I don't know hot to implement it
without creating a custom widget/css, which seems a bit overkill to me.

I'm finishing a new version of the prototype which I hope will address
most concerns (not all, but refining by email with various advices
looks quite difficult to me...)

Cheers

Cheers