Re: [Tails-dev] Fix ISO verification using checksum

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fix ISO verification using checksum
Willem van der Poel:
> I actually had that issue with the ISO.
> Just didn't like the way I had to use FireFox to verify it.

Can I ask you why? Because you didn't had Firefox installed? Or because
you didn't like the idea of using a web browser to do that?

> Instead I just used some common sense together with the linux
> explanation and a command-line (cmd.exe) window open in Windows.
>
> The windows installer for GnuPG is actually quite sufficient for
> installing GPG (and it also includes an automated addition to the PATH
> variable), which means they can just as easily use the linux manual to
> check the iso with the signature as all executable from the installer
> can be called from any directory.

That's a good thing to know, and it might be worth adding that info to
our documentation.

But may I ask why you choose to do it this way instead of using Gpg4win
as proposed here:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/get/verify_the_iso_image_using_other_operating_systems/#index2h3

> Might need to rewrite some entries though as windows doesn't really
> has a pipe command. Haven't tried PowerShell with gpg.exe yet though!

Thankfully, there is no pipe in our basic verification instructions.

--
sajolida