Re: [Tails-dev] Fix ISO verification using checksum

Author: Willem van der Poel
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fix ISO verification using checksum
Hello,

On 6-5-2014 11:30, sajolida@??? wrote:
> Willem van der Poel:
>> I actually had that issue with the ISO. Just didn't like the way
>> I had to use FireFox to verify it.
>
> Can I ask you why? Because you didn't had Firefox installed? Or
> because you didn't like the idea of using a web browser to do
> that?

It's a personal thing. I moved away from the browser a long time ago
and uninstalled it. I just didn't feel like reinstalling it just for
the purpse of verifying the images that way.

I began my computer addiction early with MS Dos so commandline has a
certain kind of pull on me. The push they made me go through toward
Win95 made me move over to unix instead, and later to linux (although
I still sticked to Win95 for games like red alert :)).
>> Instead I just used some common sense together with the linux
>> explanation and a command-line (cmd.exe) window open in Windows.
>>
>> The windows installer for GnuPG is actually quite sufficient for
>> installing GPG (and it also includes an automated addition to the
>> PATH variable), which means they can just as easily use the linux
>> manual to check the iso with the signature as all executable from
>> the installer can be called from any directory.
>
> That's a good thing to know, and it might be worth adding that info
> to our documentation.
>
> But may I ask why you choose to do it this way instead of using
> Gpg4win as proposed here:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/get/verify_the_iso_image_using_other_operating_systems/#index2h3

Don't like point and click. I will prefer a commandline interface over
GUI's anytime I can! :)