Re: [Tails-dev] Fix ISO verification using checksum

Author: Willem van der Poel
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fix ISO verification using checksum
I actually had that issue with the ISO.
Just didn't like the way I had to use FireFox to verify it.

Instead I just used some common sense together with the linux
explanation and a command-line (cmd.exe) window open in Windows.

The windows installer for GnuPG is actually quite sufficient for
installing GPG (and it also includes an automated addition to the PATH
variable), which means they can just as easily use the linux manual to
check the iso with the signature as all executable from the installer
can be called from any directory.

Might need to rewrite some entries though as windows doesn't really
has a pipe command. Haven't tried PowerShell with gpg.exe yet though!

- -- Willem

On 2-5-2014 15:53, sajolida@??? wrote:
> Here is another bug that would be quite important to fix on the
> website. The instructions that we propose to verify the ISO image
> on Windows and OS X have been basically broken for months:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/get/verify_the_iso_image_using_other_operating_systems/#index1h3

I gave up on hoping that MD5 Reborned Hasher would get fixed. So
> we need to find an alternative. I proposed to test DownThemAll,
> that ticket #6664. But this seems a bit overkill.
>
> Sometime ago, Griffin Boyce wrote us saying he had written some
> checksum code for Chrome. We might try to find people to adapt
> this code as a Firefox plugin, or to rewrite our instructions based
> on Chrome:
>
> https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2014-March/005270.html

So actually, this task is more about testing and playing around