Re: [Tails-dev] A suggestion for clearer instructions

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] A suggestion for clearer instructions
David Grant:
> Please make it clear that when you click "Download Tails 1.0" what you get
> is not (or may not be?) a version of Tails 1.0 that is ready to load onto a
> USB thumb drive and use to boot a computer into Tails. What I got was a
> Roxio-ready program that burned a DVD-R that can be used as a boot disk to
> start Tails.

Thanks for your feedback on our documentation.

I think that the information you were looking for was already in our
download page, but I tried to improve on that a bit, since apparently
that didn't work for you.

1. Section 2 "Download page" already says: "You will download Tails in
the form of an ISO image: a single file that you will later burn on a
DVD or install onto a USB stick or SD card.". So I added an info styling
to make it a bit more visible:

https://tails.boum.org/download/#index2h1

What do you think? Did you see that sentence the first time? Does it
clarify your concern?

- The last sentence at the bottom of the page was saying: "Read the
"First steps with Tails" section of our documentation." which has all
the installation information that you seems to have missed. So I make
that part more visible by adding a "Installation" title and making that
last sentence more explicit. See:

https://tails.boum.org/download/#index5h1

What do you think?

> I tried to make a second USB flash drive that would boot up Tails 1.0. It
> took me the better part of an hour to realize that the second flash drive
> was defective. Now I'm shopping for a fast-reading USB 3.0 flash drive to
> use to run on computers that have USB 3.0 ports.

I'm glad you made it to install Tails onto a USB stick!

> I have several computers that run Windows XP. For security, I've
> disconnected them from the internet, but I think it will still be safe to
> use them online occasionally as long as they're running Tails. Thank you
> very much for making those computers still safe (I hope) on the internet.

They will be much safer on the Internet with Tails than with Windows XP
for sure!

--
sajolida