Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge test/rjb-migration

Author: bertagaz
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] #6400: upstreaming our rjb support [Was: Please review'n'merge test/rjb-migration]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge test/rjb-migration
On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 07:36:15PM +0100, intrigeri wrote:
> bertagaz@??? wrote (27 Dec 2013 09:36:32 GMT) :
> > Just one word to sum up my feelings: hurray! :)
>
> :)
>
> The test suite is now entirely green for me, with the two known
> exceptions that are documented (git grep XXX -- features).
>
> Please review my changes and merge it into devel if it looks good!
> Tickets that will go away: #6314, #6399.

Done, merged into devel, haven't seen the test suite in such a good shape
since a long time, congrats!

> The parent ticket (#5731) is still blocked by #6400, as nobody
> commited to either upstream our stuff into the ruby-sikuli Gem, or to
> maintain our own adapter on the long term. I'm unsure what conclusion
> we should draw of it. Admitedly, the new setup is way less scary than
> the previous one, and our adapter is 85 lines long, but still, I'm
> concerned we might happily be replacing it with another kind of
> technical debt.
>
> Shall we just forget about it and close #6400 as rejected?
> Thoughts?

I've had a quick look at a way to implement that upstream. Using the
RUBY_ENGINE variable, it seems easy to have the gem selecting the right
handler depending on which interpreter is used.

Still there are some subtilities in our code that I'm not sure to
understand, this is quite low level, and I'm not sure to be able to handle
this upstreaming myself alone.

> In particular, I'd like to hear what anonym thinks of it.

Me too. :)

bert.