[Tails-dev] #6400: upstreaming our rjb support [Was: Please …

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] #6400: upstreaming our rjb support [Was: Please review'n'merge test/rjb-migration]
Hi,

bertagaz@??? wrote (29 Dec 2013 17:44:57 GMT) :
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 07:36:15PM +0100, intrigeri wrote:
>> The parent ticket (#5731) is still blocked by #6400, as nobody
>> commited to either upstream our stuff into the ruby-sikuli Gem, or to
>> maintain our own adapter on the long term. I'm unsure what conclusion
>> we should draw of it. Admitedly, the new setup is way less scary than
>> the previous one, and our adapter is 85 lines long, but still, I'm
>> concerned we might happily be replacing it with another kind of
>> technical debt.

AFAICT, nothing has happened on this front since then.

> I've had a quick look at a way to implement that upstream. Using the
> RUBY_ENGINE variable, it seems easy to have the gem selecting the right
> handler depending on which interpreter is used.

> Still there are some subtilities in our code that I'm not sure to
> understand, this is quite low level, and I'm not sure to be able to handle
> this upstreaming myself alone.

In the meantime, the sikuli_ruby Gem [1] has been abandonned, and our
current best option for upstreaming seems to be Rukuli [2], that seems
quite alive (10 contributors, a few commits every month).

[1] https://github.com/chaslemley/sikuli_ruby
[2] https://github.com/andreanastacio/Rukuli

anonym, bertagaz: want to have a(nother) look, and decide if you
prefer to do the upstreaming work now, or to commit to maintain our
own sikuli/rjb adapter on the long run?