Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?

Author: Mike Perry
To: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?
intrigeri:
> Hi Mike,
>
> intrigeri wrote (01 Dec 2013 16:05:08 GMT) :
> > how annoying do you think it is if some of the Tor Browser branding
> > (mainly: window title bar, some text in "About Tor Browser") is
> > applied in Tails 0.22?
>
> > I guess we could change this by dropping the "Tor Browser's official
> > .mozconfigs" patch. To be honest, I'm a bit reluctant to change this
> > *now* for 0.22 (frozen, will be released in a bit more than a week),
> > and I'm afraid we did not think of this earlier in this release cycle,
> > but I would be happy to fix this for 0.23 if you think it's required.
>
> Thanks for your reply on #tor-dev wrt. which patches we should drop if
> we wanted *not* to call our browser "Tor Browser": FTR you suggested
> we only drop the Rebrand-Firefox-to-TorBrowser patch, and we keep
> applying the mozconfig one. This is already what we do, and the result
> is a browser that calls itself "Tor Browser", so I'm afraid this is
> not an option. If you think we have to *not* call our browser this
> way, I guess I'll have to try dropping the mozconfig patch too.

Oh, this may be due to the .mozconfig line:
mk_add_options MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME=TorBrowser

Without that, it should call itself Iceweasel/Firefox again in all
places.

> More importantly, I've not seen any reply from you on the "how
> annoying [...]" question above. I plan to build our browser based on
> 24.2.0esr at some point during the week-end. Without any answer on
> this topic, I'll assume it's fine that we call our browser "Tor
> Browser", at least for one Tails release, and I will avoid fiddling
> with the branding at the last minute.

I thought the "how annoying" question was addressed to the Tails
development list, not me. I don't care what you call your browser :).

I might suggest that your non-Debian users will find it more
understandable to have an "Insecure Browser" and a "Tor Browser", rather
than an "Insecure Browser" and an "Iceweasel" (wtf is an Iceweasel
anyway?) but that is for you to decide.

--
Mike Perry