Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?
arkmd wrote (02 Dec 2013 01:36:23 GMT) :
> intrigeri:
>> how annoying do you think it is if some of the Tor Browser
>> branding (mainly: window title bar, some text in "About Tor
>> Browser") is applied in Tails 0.22? I guess we could change this by
>> dropping the "Tor Browser's official .mozconfigs" patch. To be
>> honest, I'm a bit reluctant to change this *now* for 0.22 (frozen,
>> will be released in a bit more than a week), and I'm afraid we did
>> not think of this earlier in this release cycle, but I would be
>> happy to fix this for 0.23 if you think it's required.
> Is it to avoid confusion?

No, it's to have our browser codebase as close as possible to the
regular Torbrowser's one. Each patch we drop has the potential to make
our browser look somewhat different on the Internet.

> Thats a valid point, but...

> A big "Tor Browser" title bar would attract more attention of the
> people standing around than it would help new Tails users.

> Maybe stay with Iceweasel, or even change name and icons to Firefox,
> would provide more discretion to Tails users.

Personally, I believe the Windows Camouflage mode is our best bet when
it comes to hiding one is using something weird. I guess we would take
patches that s/Tor Browser/Firefox/ or something in camouflage mode,
but I don't consider this as a valid line of reasoning as far as
non-camouflage mode is concerned.

If others think differently, I'm happy to read their thoughts and
perhaps change my mind :)