Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?
01/12/13 17:05, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi Tails,
>
> how annoying do you think it is if some of the Tor Browser branding
> (mainly: window title bar, some text in "About Tor Browser") is
> applied in Tails 0.22?

I'm worried that this may fail several scenarios (and even complete
features) in the automated test suite. Does the new branding also change
the icon in the window title? Please see
features/images/IceweaselRunning.png -- does that part of the new
Iceweasel/Tor browser still look the same? (Sorry, I don't have time (or
the bandwidth) to check this myself right now.)

In case the new branding is too different, updating
features/images/IceweaselRunning.png is a quick fix of course.

> I guess we could change this by dropping the "Tor Browser's official
> .mozconfigs" patch. To be honest, I'm a bit reluctant to change this
> *now* for 0.22 (frozen, will be released in a bit more than a week),
> and I'm afraid we did not think of this earlier in this release cycle,
> but I would be happy to fix this for 0.23 if you think it's required.

It should be noted that our user documentation mentions Iceweasel
several times so that discrepancy may be a source of use confusion,
which may warrant a (potentially temporary) change in the user
documentation. Switching the name to "Tor browser" in 0.22, and then
back to "Iceweasel" in 0.23 will perhaps also generate some confusion.

I feel inclined to say that *if* we release 0.22 with the current "Tor
browser" branding, then we stick with it. Perhaps that'll even be good
for consistency with Tor's product, whom many Tails users presumably
have used before trying out Tails? OTOH, maybe the Tor people will
object since there are differences (-/+ some patches, adblock, etc.)?

Cheers!