Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Browser branding in Tails?
Hi,

anonym wrote (01 Dec 2013 23:51:06 GMT) :
> I'm worried that this may fail several scenarios (and even complete
> features) in the automated test suite. Does the new branding also change
> the icon in the window title? Please see
> features/images/IceweaselRunning.png -- does that part of the new
> Iceweasel/Tor browser still look the same? (Sorry, I don't have time (or
> the bandwidth) to check this myself right now.)

The window titlebar icon doesn't change so I hope it does not break
the test suite. bertagaz will be running it today, so we'll soon know.

> In case the new branding is too different, updating
> features/images/IceweaselRunning.png is a quick fix of course.

Sure. If needed I'll do it as part of fixing regressions brought by
feature/ff24.

>> I guess we could change this by dropping the "Tor Browser's official
>> .mozconfigs" patch. To be honest, I'm a bit reluctant to change this
>> *now* for 0.22 (frozen, will be released in a bit more than a week),
>> and I'm afraid we did not think of this earlier in this release cycle,
>> but I would be happy to fix this for 0.23 if you think it's required.

> It should be noted that our user documentation mentions Iceweasel
> several times so that discrepancy may be a source of use confusion,
> which may warrant a (potentially temporary) change in the user
> documentation. Switching the name to "Tor browser" in 0.22, and then
> back to "Iceweasel" in 0.23 will perhaps also generate some confusion.

> I feel inclined to say that *if* we release 0.22 with the current "Tor
> browser" branding, then we stick with it. Perhaps that'll even be good
> for consistency with Tor's product, whom many Tails users presumably
> have used before trying out Tails? OTOH, maybe the Tor people will
> object since there are differences (-/+ some patches, adblock, etc.)?

>From a general Tails dev perspective I agree with this reasoning.

With my RM hat I'm hoping whatever decision we make results in us not
touching these bits for 0.22.