Re: [Tails-dev] Fix for keyboard layouts in the greeter, ple…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fix for keyboard layouts in the greeter, please review
Hi,

winterfairy@??? wrote (15 Nov 2013 20:12:41 GMT) :
> My branch "bugfix/norwegian-layout" in my "winterfairy/greeter" repo fixes
> bug #5741. Nynorsk and norsk bokmål (both version of norwegian) now gets
> norwegian keyboard layout, sardinian now gets italian keyboard layout, and
> hrvatski (croatian) now gets croatian keyboard layout. Portuguese/brazil
> already worked, as mentioned in that bug ticket.

> That branch is based on the master branch.

Great \o/

> I have also a version with this branch merged into the wheezy branch, see
> "bugfix/norwegian-layout-wheezy". All the issues my fix fixes were present
> in wheezy too, and fixed by my patch.

I'm glad you did the Wheezy part too :)

> But basically, the issues are that upstream (xklavier, xkb or x11) does
> not support the languages, we were polling for them in the right way. My
> fix only hacks around upstreams lack of support.

I acknowledge this branch is an improvement against the current state
of things. I'd like to avoid this improvement to harm us on the long
term, and every such new kludge is guaranteed future maintenance work.

So, I'll be happy to take this branch as a workaround once I see some
signs that we won't have to keep it forever. Are there upstream bug
reports about these issues, someone working on this, anything on the
horizon to give us hope? How do others (e.g. the Debian, Ubuntu,
Fedora installers) do?

(Sorry to be the painful gatekeeper. I'm regularly the one who gets to
maintain / adapt / update the great code written 1-3 years ago by
others in the Tails source tree, I just had to do it for the Unsafe
Browser, so perhaps I'm a bit too much on the skeptical side today.
If others think differently, or concur, or whatever, I would
appreciate to be given the chance to put my feelings
into perspective.)