Re: [Tails-dev] Smaller IUK packages

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Smaller IUK packages
Hi,

winterfairy@??? wrote (16 Nov 2013 13:43:47 GMT) :
> You can make the IUK packages smaller by replacing
> rsync --archive --quiet --delete-after
> with
> rsync -rlpgoD --checksum --quiet --delete-after

> [...] By the above modification I produced a squashfs delta between
> Tails 0.18 and Tails 0.21 that was just 187 MB, [...]
> I don't know how large that squashfs delta was before the change,

I was curious, so I've built it: 255MB.
27% better, looks interesting :)

> I have *not* actually tried running the produced squashfs delta.
> Timestamps is not updated anymore with this change, but I doubt any
> application relies on them. But this has to be tested by whoever
> investigate this further.

OK, then I'm adding it as a subtask of the "phase three" on the
incremental updates roadmap: #6425. (Phases one and two are MUST for
shipping this feature in a Tails release, and shall be completed by
the end of the year. Phase three is for whatever improvement would be
great to add later.) Of course, if anyone finishes this work earlier,
then it can probably go into the first release with incremental
updates :)