Re: [Tails-dev] Fix for keyboard layouts in the greeter, pl…

Author: winterfairy
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fix for keyboard layouts in the greeter, please review
intrigeri wrote:
>winterfairy at riseup.net wrote (15 Nov 2013 20:12:41 GMT) :
>> My branch "bugfix/norwegian-layout" in my "winterfairy/greeter" repo fixes
>> bug #5741.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> But basically, the issues are that upstream (xklavier, xkb or x11) does
>> not support the languages, we were polling for them in the right way. My
>> fix only hacks around upstreams lack of support.
>
> [...]
>
> So, I'll be happy to take this branch as a workaround once I see some
> signs that we won't have to keep it forever. Are there upstream bug
> reports about these issues, someone working on this, anything on the
> horizon to give us hope? How do others (e.g. the Debian, Ubuntu,
> Fedora installers) do?
>
> (Sorry to be the painful gatekeeper. I'm regularly the one who gets to
> maintain / adapt / update the great code written 1-3 years ago by
> others in the Tails source tree, [...])

Sorry I don't see it, but you are complaining about six lines added code
being an maintenance burden, especially when the same branch removed
so much more dead code.

But I did some research anyway :)

I have checked the current "master" branch for upstream
"xkeyboard-config" [3], which defines the language-layout
mappings we use.

I have also tested running Fedora installer with automatic
keyboard layout derived from selected language.

I have also searched on xkeyboard-config's bug tracker [4].

Reseach summary:

* Croatian language has code "hrv" [5], but the croatian keyboard
layout "hr" expects "scr" as language in xkeyboard-config [6].
According to multiple sources [1][2], "scr" is a now
deprecated alias for "hrv".

This looks like a bug in xkeyboard-config,
should I submit a patch to them?

I am a bit uncertain, as recently "hrv" has been added
for the keyboard layout "us/hbs" (serbo-croatian (us)).
I do not really know if "hr" (croatian) keyboard layout
is preferred for croatia.

Fedora installer selects "hr" it seems.

* Norwegian is not fixed upstream.
I suppose I can submit a patch to them that fixes it.

It works in Fedora installer, I haven't researched why.

* Sardinian is not a selectable language in Fedora installer
or Ubuntu installer, and we do not know which keyboard
layout it should use. It is not fixed upstream.
We cannot fix it upstream.

Should I file a bug report that it is missing?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639
[2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.languages/8249
[3] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/
[4] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/
[5] file:///usr/share/xml/iso-codes/iso_639_3.xml
[6] file:///usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml (also in git repo)