Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock 0.6 (aka: 1.0-rc1)

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock 0.6 (aka: 1.0-rc1)
Hi,

Kevin C. Krinke wrote (15 Nov 2013 16:03:12 GMT) :
> From the ChangeLog...

>   * Really rememoved all traces of NEWS
>   * Made locale generation more dynamic during "make"
>   * Minor tidy-ups, autotools/packaging fixes
>   * This release is now 1.0-rc1, if testing goes well next version will
>     just be a version bump and re-release

> All git tags/commits for this release are signed as will all future
> tags/commits. Signed of course with my personal key.

> Tested in current Tails release and Debian Wheezy. The 1.0 release will
> be fully tested on squeeze through sid and relevant Tails versions. Of
> course, if anyone can help with testing I'd appreciate the assistance!

> Questions, comments, feedback, etc is always very welcome :)

The current packaging doesn't build under pbuilder, because distclean
fails (unless the source tree is dirty, presumably):

  dpkg-buildpackage: source package tailsclock
  dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.6-1
  dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution unstable
  dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Kevin C. Krinke <kevin@???>
   dpkg-source -i -I --before-build tailsclock-0.6
  dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
   fakeroot debian/rules clean
  dh clean  --with autotools-dev --with autoreconf --with python2
     dh_testdir
     dh_auto_clean
  make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/tailsclock-0.6'
  /bin/bash ./config.status --recheck
  /bin/bash: ./config.status: No such file or directory
  make[1]: *** [config.status] Error 127
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/buildd/tailsclock-0.6'
  dh_auto_clean: make -j1 distclean returned exit code 2
  make: *** [clean] Error 2
  dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2

This is caused by trying to use the orig.tar.gz you are providing
(that tarball ships various autotools files, apparently in some weird
state).

If, instead, I do the following, then it builds nicely:

  1. Remove Kevin's upstream tarballs, since it was decided they are
     actually not the canonical released source, and if they're here
     gbp wants to use them:

     $ rm -rf  ../*orig.tar.* ../build-area/ ../tarballs/

  2. Tell git-buildpackage what branches are used, what tag the
     upstream source should be taken from, and to avoid using
     pristine-tar for now:

     $ git-buildpackage \
          --git-debian-branch=debian \
          --git-upstream-branch=master \
          --git-upstream-tag='v%(version)s' \
          --git-no-pristine-tar

3. Configure git-buildpackage to do the same every time:

     $ cat > debian/gbp.conf <<EOF
[DEFAULT]
debian-branch = debian
upstream-branch = master
upstream-tag = v%(version)s
pristine-tar = False
EOF

Then, the orig.tar.* tarball that will be uploaded to Debian is
generated, at Debian package build time, directly from the upstream
tag. Only one single source of truth (Git), and only a signed Git tag
to verify. Next step is to figure out how to use pristine-tar in this
setup (I'm used to it with git-import-orig, but that's exactly what we
want to avoid here), but this can wait for later.

May you please try doing this, confirms it builds fine for you too
this way, and add such a gbp.conf to Git?

Some workflow / process notes:

  * Please tag the Debian releases too, e.g. by issuing the following
    command after a package was successful built and tested:

    $ git-buildpackage --git-sign-tags --git-tag-only

  * Please stop rewriting the history of published branches: it makes
    reviewing and collaboration hard (e.g. I had reviewed `devel'
    already, and now I have to review the same commits in `master'
    again since they've been rewritten). An exception to this rule
    might be topic branches that one has not pointed to publicly yet.

Also, here's a minor issues detected when testing the applet: the
applet description (as shown in "Add to Panel") ends with a period,
which is not the case for other applets.

To end with, I could not enable the applet in Tails 0.21 (be it with
your .deb or the one I've built myself):

    The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:TailsClock".
    Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

How did you make it work?