Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update

Author: Kevin C. Krinke
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update
On 2013-11-06 8:03 AM, sajolida@??? wrote:
> On 31/10/13 21:23, Kevin C. Krinke wrote:
>> General thoughts? Concerns? Addition TODO suggestions? Anyone?
>
> I tried it in Tails 0.21, and it's great. First I thought we would do a
> quick and dirty applet but this one is a real clone of the original one.
> I love it. Whatever I'll say here is nitpicking, but while we're at it...

Nitpick away! I've gone this far with it, may as well make it as close
to perfect as I can :)

> - Regarding the description of the applet. It says "Simple clock
> applet.". Maybe we can try to be a bit more descriptive and say "Clone
> of the GNOME Clock with configurable timezone".

Sounds good. Will do.

> - In the preferences, GNOME uses sentence capitalization in the
> description of the option. Use title capitalization only when GDP tells
> you to do so: menu item, heading, name of application, buttons, key,
> etc. http://developer.gnome.org/gdp-style-guide/stable/

Will do.

> - Actually, since your options are almost the same as the ones in the
> GNOME Clock, why not reuse the exact same "General" tab than the
> original one (widgets, captions)? I mean, they already worked on that so
> let's reuse their work.

Will do.

> - The date format is not localized properly. Maybe that's not a big deal
> in English but I don't know how would that work in non-roman scripts.
> For example:
>
>   - in English:
>     - your applet: Wed 06 Nov
>     - GNOME applet: Wed Nov 6
>   - in German:
>     - Mi 06 Nov
>     - Mi, 06. Nov

This has been completely refactored for 0.4, please report problems with
that build with respect to the clock formatting.

> It seems like you only translate the name of the day but keep the same
> string format. You should look for the way the original applet does to
> display localized time and date.

The 0.4 version basically does exactly what the original applet does. It
uses format strings for translation (%H:%M for example is in the
translation files) and replaces the formatting with localized datetime
replacements.

> I didn't try the one for Tails Wheezy yet.

Please try that one, it's far more clean and polished in comparison.

--
Kevin C. Krinke <kevin@???>
GnuPG - 851662D2 - 0x18C67F61851662D2