Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update
On 31/10/13 21:23, Kevin C. Krinke wrote:
> General thoughts? Concerns? Addition TODO suggestions? Anyone?

I tried it in Tails 0.21, and it's great. First I thought we would do a
quick and dirty applet but this one is a real clone of the original one.
I love it. Whatever I'll say here is nitpicking, but while we're at it...

- Regarding the description of the applet. It says "Simple clock
applet.". Maybe we can try to be a bit more descriptive and say "Clone
of the GNOME Clock with configurable timezone".

- In the preferences, GNOME uses sentence capitalization in the
description of the option. Use title capitalization only when GDP tells
you to do so: menu item, heading, name of application, buttons, key,
etc. http://developer.gnome.org/gdp-style-guide/stable/

- Actually, since your options are almost the same as the ones in the
GNOME Clock, why not reuse the exact same "General" tab than the
original one (widgets, captions)? I mean, they already worked on that so
let's reuse their work.

- The date format is not localized properly. Maybe that's not a big deal
in English but I don't know how would that work in non-roman scripts.
For example:

  - in English:
    - your applet: Wed 06 Nov
    - GNOME applet: Wed Nov 6
  - in German:
    - Mi 06 Nov
    - Mi, 06. Nov

It seems like you only translate the name of the day but keep the same
string format. You should look for the way the original applet does to
display localized time and date.

I didn't try the one for Tails Wheezy yet.