Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update

Author: Kevin C. Krinke
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update
Hola!

On 2013-11-03 11:17 AM, intrigeri wrote:
>>  * List of configurable options:
>>    [...]
>>    * Display 12 hour clock (default: yes)

> The default should depend on the current locale.

If the locale doesn't support it, the translators will simply not put it
in for the given locale :)

Programmatically, I'll check for the support and disable the 12hr pref
option.

>> * Debian package[1] now signed with my key[2]
>
> I've not looked at the packaging yet, but I can do that if you wish.
>
> Please make sure it's Lintian clean first, so that we don't waste
> time on obvious mistakes:
>
> lintian --info --display-info --pedantic --color auto /tmp/buildd/*.changes

Will do.

>> * Non-tails-included dependency is still just python-tz
>
> I certainly wouldn't mind adding a dependency on python-yaml, rather
> than seeing yet another very partial YAML parser appear on
> this planet.

It's actually just "key: value" pairs, only reason I call it yaml is
because key-value pairs is moar keystrokes ;)

If you want it to use python-yaml, I'll make it so.

>> * Translations? (used google translate so far for strings)
>
> IMHO, no translation is better than crappy automated translations:
> it clearly indicates that there's work in need to be done.

I only used the translators available to me to test the locale handling.
Never was the intention to release formally with hackedup translations.

>>    * Preferences dialog is very bare-bones looking
>>    * About dialog is even more bare-bones than prefs dialog

> I suggest simply stealing GNOME3's design.

Will do.

>> General thoughts? Concerns? Addition TODO suggestions? Anyone?
>
> It would be great for reviewers to avoid commits such as e971d8c that
> contain both the change documented in the commit message, and
> unrelated changes (in this specific case, removal of commented-out
> code).

Lazy commits, my bad. I'll ensure all commits are as fine grained as
sensible.

> I think it's generally not seen as best practice to ship all these
> autotools files and symlinks in Git: shipping autogen.sh, Makefile.am,
> src/Makefile.am and configure.in should be enough. Especially,
> symlinks that depend on a specific version of automake are not
> too helpful.

Symlinks will be fixed.

I'm still new to creating an autotools build system from scratch so I've
never really known what the appropriate files to maintain are. I'd like
to keep enough in there so anyone can regenerate things formally but
I'll dig into figuring out what's not actually necessary and strip them
from the repo.

> The docstring on top of TailsClockApplet.py points to the obsolete
> config file path.

Will fix.

> Tails is GPL-3+. How about making this applet the same?

Will change.

> Writing to a fixed-name file in a world-writable directory
> (/tmp/tailsclockapplet.log) is a no-no, even in debug mode.
> Surely Python has some mktemp implementation.

Again, I'm too lazy sometimes :) I'll figure out a better solution.

>>        self.set_size_request(280,280)
>>        self.set_resizable(False)

> I'm not sure this plays nicely e.g. with large fonts (accessibility)
> and l10n (longer strings, sometimes). At least make it resizable, even
> if you don't manage to get dynamic sizing work? It's frustrating as
> a user to get a non-resizable window, with content that doesn't fit
> in. If you have a hard time dealing with this, perhaps Glade can help
> (yeah, I know, it's a pain to get a Glade version that supports GTK2
> these days).

Will fix.

>>     def toggled_12hr(self,widget):
>>         self.update_general()
>>         pass
>>     def toggled_sec(self,widget):
>>         self.update_general()
>>         pass
>>     def toggled_tz(self,widget):
>>         self.update_general()
>>         pass
>>     def toggled_yr(self,widget):
>>         self.update_general()
>>         pass

> Perhaps a tiny bit of meta-programming to avoid the copy'n'paste?

Yeah, will fix. :) Should be consolidated into a single callback.

> I'm unsure about the Calendar feature. I do like this feature, but
> perhaps it can live only in the devel branch until it's polished?

The calendar itself just needs a little padding applied to the packing.

> I'm pretty sure pylint would mind the 140-columns lines one can see
> here and there.

Will fix.

> Thanks for supporting both GTK2 and GTK3, this is very helpful at this
> point of Tails development :)

You're welcome! Love challenges :D

> Congrats, too, for all the useful "#Translators:" comments.

\o/

> I'm excited, and I do hope this can make it for Tails 0.22 or 0.23 :)

YEEEAH! :)

--
Kevin C. Krinke <kevin@???>
GnuPG - 851662D2 - 0x18C67F61851662D2