Re: [Tails-dev] Difficulties connecting to OFTC

Author: Kill Your TV
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Difficulties connecting to OFTC
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:33:12 +0000 (UTC)
intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sajolida@??? wrote (02 Nov 2013 16:06:02 GMT) :
> > Some users reported difficulties to connect to OFTC using Pidgin on
> > Tails 0.21. I managed to reproduce that bug. If I start pidgin from
> > the command line with the debug option,
>
> First, make sure you run:
>
> $ env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID="" pidgin --debug
>
> ... else, you're testing something entirely different from what the
> launcher in the panel does.
>
> I was able to successfully connect to OFTC this way on Tails 0.21.
>
> > Does that happen to others?
>
> It's been my experience for a while (possibly years) that *some* of
> the OFTC servers block (some or all of) Tor exit nodes. Usually,
> asking for a set of new Tor circuits works, generally the first time,
> sometimes after a few tries.

This has been my experience as well. All in all it's *much* easier to
connect to OFTC via Tor than Freenode. Freenode's hidden services tend
to be kind of unstable at times. Connections to OFTC OTOH are solid
the vast majority of the time..

> In short, I believe there's nothing specific to Tails in this,
> and I don't think there's much we can do about it.

I concur. Any of the issues with connecting to OFTC from Tails are not
solvable by Tails (nor Tor (nor Pidgin)).