Re: [Tails-dev] about the maintenance of I2P in Tails

Author: Kill Your TV
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] about the maintenance of I2P in Tails
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 08:25:39 +0000 (UTC) intrigeri wrote:

> > From: Kill Your TV <killyourtv@???>
> > Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 02:58:03 +0000

> > Since I would like to fill the role of "I2P Maintaner for Tails",
> > how can I get started and make it official?
>
> How about proposing a feature/i2p-0.9.8.1 Git branch on tails-dev?

Easy enough. I can fork the repo at http://repo.or.cz and push my
changes to to the aforementioned feature/i2p-0.9.8 branch. (I2P 0.9.8.1
fixed a Windows-only bug so we didn't release this version as Debian
packages.

If any of the Tails-specific changes could/should be added to the
upstream package I will gladly integrate them to keep the delta small.

> So, until now, we have been downloading .deb's from whatever external
> APT repository was available, manually checking that they only
> installed stuff in expected places (say, no /bin/sudo), and importing
> them into our own APT repository. As a bonus, this allows us to
> enforce our freeze on these packages: we don't want I2P to be
> automatically upgraded between a Tails RC and a final release.
>
> The drawbacks of this approach, compared to simply adding your
> repository to config/chroot_sources/, are obvious (more manual work,
> more resources needed on our own APT repository), and I wouldn't be
> opposed to changing our mind, once the freeze issue is resolved, and
> with the appropriate safeguards in place.

Would setting up a "Tails-only" distribution for the repository at
http://deb.i2p2.no be an acceptable way to handle freezes? This way the
Tails team and/or release manager couldn't be tripped up by receiving
unexpected and unwanted package upgrades beyond the Tails freeze date.
Of course, the packages in the "Tails-only" distribution that I'm
proposing would be the same as the ones offered to the masses. The only
way the "Tails distribution" would differ from the Squeeze (and later
Wheezy) distribution is that any packages in this separate distribution
would only be manually updated when it's explicitly wanted. That way we
(=I2P) can update to a new release without potential disasters on the
Tails side.

Or, as was also suggested previously, a script to fetch the latest
packages could be created if preferred. I think having the separate
distribution added would be the easiest way to handle it. If this
course of action would be acceptable I'll add the upstream repo to the
feature branch.

How are the I2P releases scheduled in time?

New releases tend to be every ~6-8 weeks. The 0.9.9 release is planned
for mid-November with 0.9.10 in January.

I think that covers the most if not all of the points brought up.

/me heads off to dig into the Tails coding docs before attempting to
submit anything.

Cheers :)