Re: [Tails-dev] Difficulties connecting to OFTC

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Difficulties connecting to OFTC
On 02/11/13 17:32, intrigeri wrote:
> sajolida@??? wrote (02 Nov 2013 16:06:02 GMT) :
>> Some users reported difficulties to connect to OFTC using Pidgin on
>> Tails 0.21. I managed to reproduce that bug. If I start pidgin from the
>> command line with the debug option,
>
> First, make sure you run:
>
> $ env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID="" pidgin --debug
>
> ... else, you're testing something entirely different from what the
> launcher in the panel does.

Indeed. Without that environment variable it always fails as described
in the bug report. Maybe that person had a bad exit node one time, and
actually made it a reproducible failure by trying to debug it through
the command line.

> I was able to successfully connect to OFTC this way on Tails 0.21.
>
>> Does that happen to others?
>
> It's been my experience for a while (possibly years) that *some* of
> the OFTC servers block (some or all of) Tor exit nodes. Usually,
> asking for a set of new Tor circuits works, generally the first time,
> sometimes after a few tries.
>
> In short, I believe there's nothing specific to Tails in this,
> and I don't think there's much we can do about it.

I was about to propose adding a note to our Pidgin documentation about
that. But in the end it's no big deal.