Re: [Tails-dev] Difficulties connecting to OFTC

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Difficulties connecting to OFTC
Hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (02 Nov 2013 16:06:02 GMT) :
> Some users reported difficulties to connect to OFTC using Pidgin on
> Tails 0.21. I managed to reproduce that bug. If I start pidgin from the
> command line with the debug option,

First, make sure you run:

$ env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID="" pidgin --debug

... else, you're testing something entirely different from what the
launcher in the panel does.

I was able to successfully connect to OFTC this way on Tails 0.21.

> Does that happen to others?

It's been my experience for a while (possibly years) that *some* of
the OFTC servers block (some or all of) Tor exit nodes. Usually,
asking for a set of new Tor circuits works, generally the first time,
sometimes after a few tries.

In short, I believe there's nothing specific to Tails in this,
and I don't think there's much we can do about it.