Re: [Tails-dev] about the maintenance of I2P in Tails

Author: adrelanos
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] about the maintenance of I2P in Tails
(I am not a Tails developer.)

Kill Your TV:
> Would setting up a "Tails-only" distribution for the repository at
> http://deb.i2p2.no be an acceptable way to handle freezes? This way the
> Tails team and/or release manager couldn't be tripped up by receiving
> unexpected and unwanted package upgrades beyond the Tails freeze date.
> Of course, the packages in the "Tails-only" distribution that I'm
> proposing would be the same as the ones offered to the masses. The only
> way the "Tails distribution" would differ from the Squeeze (and later
> Wheezy) distribution is that any packages in this separate distribution
> would only be manually updated when it's explicitly wanted. That way we
> (=I2P) can update to a new release without potential disasters on the
> Tails side.

I think this creates too much unnecessary maintenance and communication
overhead. Also having "Tails-only" something for a generic project seems
to be wrong almost always. Therefore I am suggesting a simpler way:

For example, The Tor Project currently offers these dists [1]:
- tor-0.2.4.x-squeeze
- tor-0.2.4.x-wheezy
- tor-nightly-0.2.3.x-wheezy
- tor-nightly-0.2.4.x-jessie

Instead of ongoing effort to communicate with Tails developers which
version they prefer, just create version specific distributions, such as
i2p-0.9.9 and i2p-0.9.10 and so forth. Then anyone who wants to pick an
old/frozen versions just uses that repository and later moves on to a
more recent frozen version.

Then never update these distributions, since they are supposed to be frozen.

>From time to time after 5 (or X) releases, delete the oldest of the

frozen distributions.

Would that work for your and for Tails?

[1] http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/dists/