Re: [Tails-dev] starting dev

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] starting dev
22/09/13 15:28, intrigeri wrote:
>> I've read most of the /contribute pages on the website, checked out
>> the devel branch and looked at the tickets on the ticketing system
>
> This is a pretty good start.
>
>> I tried to run rake basebox:create and got this:
>> $ rake basebox:create
>> rake aborted!

Note that building the basebox isn't required; `rake build` will
download a basebox that we've prepared. Do you trust us? :)

Also, it seems our documentation is wrong; the command you should use if
you really want to do this is `rake basebox:create_basebox`. I've pushed
a fix to the docs (commit 7aeeaf8, also live on our homepage).

> I suspect you're running a newer version of Vagrant, that our Vagrant
> build system does not support yet. This is being investigated at
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6221.

Sina reports running Ubuntu 13.10, which ships Vagrant 1.2.2, so `rake
build` will fail later on, indeed.

Sina, could you try installing Vagrant 1.0.3 from the Ubuntu 13.04 .deb
[1], or via:

    gem install vagrant --version 1.0.3

That should provide you with a build system until that bug is fixed.

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/all/vagrant/download

> Not that many of us are
> using Vagrant, and none of us (AFAIK) is running a Vagrant that's this
> recent, so your first contribution might be to fix this.

I hope this will change "soon" if we can move from using VirtualBox to
libvirt/KVM in Vagrant (Issue #6212). Otherwise, what is it that
prevents you other developers from using it?

In related news, while procrastinating yesterday and today I've done
some initial investigation of libvirt-vagrant, and I've actually managed
to build a fully working Tails ISO using vagrant-libvirt! I had to
resort to a couple of non-automated hacks, though, but I think I can at
least get building into a clean state (basebox building using veewee +
libvirt/KVM is another story, but that isn't as important). More to come
on this soon.

>> I also had trouble running veewee on my Ubuntu 13.10 laptop, as vagrant
>> requires the gem net-scp to be version 1.0.4 while fog (required by veewee)
>> uses net-scp 1.1.2 and these cause a conflict.
>
> Ouch. Welcome to the world of Ruby, and its poor support of backward
> compatibility. I'm sorry this is happening to you, and I'd like the
> path to you building Tails to be more joyful.
>
> Anyone here wants to investigate and fix the Vagrant build with recent
> Vagrant and newer distros, without breaking this build method on
> current Debian stable (and possibly, latest Ubuntu LTS)?

Note that veewee is only necessary for building the Vagrant basebox,
which, as I explained above, isn't necessary for building Tails using
Vagrant.

Cheers!