Re: [Tails-dev] starting dev

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] starting dev
Hi,

Sina S wrote (26 Sep 2013 04:14:06 GMT) :
> 1. https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build/#index2h1 the config line
> LD_PARENT_MIRROR_BINARY has an extra quote mark that causes error if you
> copy/paste it.

Fixed, thanks:
https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/commit/wiki/src/contribute/build.mdwn?id=18a7de6a4c54327c935516343ff195f2027a79a1

> 2. Same link says "ikiwiki 3.20120725 or newer." but actually you can't get
> this version of ikiwiki from squeeze backports,

ikiwiki from testing/unstable should install just fine on Squeeze,
doesn't it? If it does not, please raise the issue and I'll see if
Joey or I can prepare a backport.

> 3.20120629, which according to
> https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2012-June/001331.html is fine?

It used to be fine at the time I wrote this email, but that's not the
case anymore (commit 09022727). I'm afraid the build doc is right on
that one.

> 3. For the life of me I could not get the squeeze backports repo to work in
> my sources.list (using the example here http://backports.debian.org/) so I
> ended up having to download the deb for libmarkdown2,
> libtext-markdown-discount-perl and ikiwiki and install using dpkg manually.

This works for me:

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

> Otherwise all is well and I am in the middle of my first "lb build" to see
> what happens.

Awesome :)

> So far the experience has made me realise I am not as proficient in git
> usage as I should be, so I might attempt to contribute to some of the
> "Easy" tickets before attempting to develop any feature branches in devel
> (which was my original plan).

Yeah, I think it's very sensible, before tackling any large task, to
get a bit used to our processes, to get used to work together with
us :)