Re: [Tails-l10n] Choosing between Git and Transifex per-lang…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: Tails localization discussion
Asunto: Re: [Tails-l10n] Choosing between Git and Transifex per-language?
hi,

Matsa wrote (11 Mar 2013 17:53:06 GMT) :
> The todo item said:
>> On the Transifex side, we may add a message for the translators,
>> pointing to contribute/how/translate and the Tails-l10n mailing-list.

> Here is a short draft, please review and complete:
> [...]
> If no one oppose, correct or complete, I'll send it to the maintainers
> on transifex at the end of the week.

Perhaps someone should first check if it's possible to have such
per-program messages on Transifex, to ensure this technical solution
is viable at all.

Also, I'm not convinced this proposal is enough to lower the risk of
duplicate work, i.e. to convey the message to e.g. French translators
on Transifex that they should *not* do translation work in there.

Perhaps that's just me, but it's totally unclear to me:

  1. whether you've chosen proposal A, proposal C, or something else
     for your team;
  2. what problem exactly you're trying to solve, and what identified
     problem will be left once your proposal is implemented.

About this part of the ticket:

> We should invite the people translating custom programs with git to
> check [Torproject's
> repository](https://gitweb.torproject.org/translation.git) for
> updated versions. Those translations are [automatically
> updated](https://gitweb.torproject.org/translation-tools.git/tree)
> from Transifex every 30 minutes.

This suggests one-way (Transifex to Git) synchronization will be done.
Great. But how will Transifex translations be a useful basis for any
work, if they don't reflect the strings actually shipped and
displayed, as the other synchronization way (Git to Transifex) is
never done?