Re: [Tails-l10n] Choosing between Git and Transifex per-lang…

Autor: mercedes508
Para: tails-l10n
Asunto: Re: [Tails-l10n] Choosing between Git and Transifex per-language? [Was: rtl support]
Hi,

> I'd like to make a pitch for Transifex as the main path for
> translation. All existing teams are used to Git, since they didn't
> have any other way of doing it in the past, and are comfortable with
> it.

I kind of agree with that, but some teams, as the french one and the
brasilian portuguese one are mainly/exclusively working with git, and
are strong enough not to need additional translators for now (correct
me if I'm wrong).

> If you want to grow the translation community, though, Git is a huge
> bar. For example, NDI has a team of folks who would be happy to assist
> with Farsi and Arabic and Russian (and maybe other languages.)
> However, I'm never going to be able to get them to do it via Git. I'm
> sure that's true for many other individuals who might happily clean up
> some strings through a web interface but would be terrified of a PO
> editor.

Great if people want to start/continue translating using Transifex,
especially if there's no team using Git, for Farsi/Arabic/Russian for
example. The main issue is how to deal with people translating to the
same language if some are using Transifex, and some others use Git. I
propose that each existing team decide which tool to use for a specific
language, and make it clear - on tails website / transifex ? - so no
one does work that won't be used/reviewed or work that's been already
done.

This could be add to matsa's daft ?

Cheers.