Re: [Tails-testers] 5.8~beta1 report

Author: k9glrflkhvubl7qe
To: tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] 5.8~beta1 report
> I'll let sajolida create issues for the UI/UX problems he thinks are
> worth tracking on GitLab.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

> Since Audacity is GTK 3, I believe this means the upstream/Debian
> maintainers have explicitly turned off Wayland support in this version. I'm
> inclined to trust their judgment and wait for them to drop this
> customization.

Yes, that could be the case, I completely forgot about it.

> I don't see XWayland going away any time soon.

Isn't that security issue though? Of course, running most applications
natively on
Wayland is better than not doing it, but I think Tails shouldn't use
Xwayland at all
and remove it completely in future.

> We use xclip in our test suite so we cannot do that.

May I ask why can't you replace it in the test suite as well if Tails will
be using
Wayland? wl-clipboard is basically "xclip for Wayland" so it should have
the same
functionality.

> And at first glance, I think users who would use wl-clipboard are too
> few to be worth installing by default. OTOH it's 25kB. sajolida?

Clipboard management from terminal is pretty basic feature in my opinion
and thus
wl-clipboard should be installed by default. I don't think xclip will work
without
Xwayland anyway so maybe for now we could have both and then xclip would
be removed
together with Xwayland at some point in future?

Also, you shouldn't be worried about 25kB if you are still keeping GIMP
installed by
default even though two other programs have similar functionality (and
GIMP also takes
much more space than 25kB). I understand that you want to keep Tails
lightweight and I fully support this idea but like I already said before,
in my opinion wl-clipboard should be installed by default.