Re: [Tails-testers] 5.8~beta1 report

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] 5.8~beta1 report
Hi,

k9glrflkhvubl7qe--- via Tails-testers (2022-11-10):
> Since a week I was using beta release and since few days I cannot find new
> issues so I decided to send this report now.

Thanks!

I'll let sajolida create issues for the UI/UX problems he thinks are
worth tracking on GitLab.

> I also decided to test how many applications are compatible with Wayland
> and unfortunately I was able to find that many applications use Xwayland
> by default or don't work without it at all, which means that they require
> additional configuration or should be replaced or completely removed:
> - Audacity requires GDK_BACKEND=wayland,

Since Audacity is GTK 3, I believe this means the upstream/Debian
maintainers have explicitly turned off Wayland support in
this version. I'm inclined to trust their judgment and wait for them
to drop this customization.

> - Kleopatra, KeePassXC and Electrum ignore XDG_SESSION_TYPE on GNOME so
> they require QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland environment variable and qtwayland5
> package,

This is now tracked on
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/19279

> - Dasher doesn't seem to work without Xwayland at all. I tried running it
> with GDK_BACKEND=wayland but received "option parsing failed: Cannot open
> display:" error. The issue related to native Wayland support is still open
> since 2017: https://github.com/dasher-project/dasher/issues/103

This is now tracked on
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/19280

> - GIMP version which is currently installed (2.10.22) is based on GTK2,
> which means that (as far as I know) it will not work on Wayland.
> GTK3-based version (2.99.12) is only available through experimental suite
> in Debian.

Right, we have to wait.

> - I was not able to run ImageMagick (display-im6.q16) natively on Wayland
> so I'm not sure if it will continue to work if Xwayland would be
> removed,

I don't see XWayland going away any time soon.

> - Pidgin is based on GTK2 and thus doesn't have Wayland support, but it
> should be replaced with Gajim anyway.

We indeed have plans to remove or replace Pidgin.

> At the end I would like to suggest two changes:
> 1. xclip should be replaced with wl-clipboard,

We use xclip in our test suite so we cannot do that.

And at first glance, I think users who would use wl-clipboard are too
few to be worth installing by default. OTOH it's 25kB. sajolida?