Re: [Tails-l10n] Clarification on the merging of Weblate rep…

Author: u
To: tails-l10n, Andre B. S.
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Clarification on the merging of Weblate repo into cannonical Tails repo ::: WAS: [fr, de] Delta between Git and Weblate translations
Hi!

On 27.06.19 14:17, drebs wrote:
> Quoting intrigeri (2019-06-27 05:47:08)
>> Also, our Weblate translation platform should go live in the next two
>> days. Then you'll need to decide whether you want to use it or stick
>> to translating in Git. Once that's done, we may need to update the
>> corresponding doc for your teams :)
>
> Hi, I will hijack this thread a bit. I'm sorry if this is not the place
> to discuss this, and if that is the case just let me know and I'll move
> the discussion elsewhere.

I think this place is good enough!

> I'm writing user documentation for Weblate and I would like to
> understand how the changes in Weblate are supposed to be merged back to
> main repo, and if there are special roles for users that make
> a differente in that merge strategy.
>
> My current understanding is that:
>
> - any person can create an account in Weblate.
>
>   - two votes from any regular different users are enough for
>     a translation to be accepted in Weblate.

> - after two votes, Weblate will create a commit in the Weblate repo.
>
> - Something happens and that commit is merged to cannonical Tails repo.

After doing some sanity checks on the technical side these modifications
are automatically merged into the canonical Tails repository.

> Is that understanding correct? If so:
>
> - what's "something" in the last step?

Replied above. I believe there is a cronjob that handles the pushes, but
I let intrigeri confirm this.

>   - what prevents someone from creating 2 different users in Weblate
>     and voting to accept their own translations?

Currently nothing.

> This are related issues:
>
> https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/10331
> https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/10802
> https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/10257
>
> They seem to conclude that:
>
> - suggestions are not made into commits by Weblate.

This is currently correct.

> - there should be different roles for users that can accept suggestions
> and thus let Weblate turn them into commits that could be merged back.

This is currently, to my knowledge, not the case.

I'm happy to explore with you what other options we have.
Shall we discuss this in a meeting instead of email?

We need to have a meeting to follow up on the work that was done by
hefee and intrigeri anyway, but we have not yet agreed on a date. I'll
include you into this discussion.

> But I can't derive from that what was the conclusion and what is the
> process for merging Weblate changes back into cannonical Tails repo.

Thanks for caring!

Cheers!
u.