Re: [Tails-l10n] Clarification on the merging of Weblate rep…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-l10n, Andre B. S.
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Clarification on the merging of Weblate repo into cannonical Tails repo ::: WAS: [fr, de] Delta between Git and Weblate translations
Hi,

u:
> On 27.06.19 14:17, drebs wrote:
>> My current understanding is that:
>>
>> - any person can create an account in Weblate.
>>
>>   - two votes from any regular different users are enough for
>>     a translation to be accepted in Weblate.

>> - after two votes, Weblate will create a commit in the Weblate repo.

I, for one, need a confirmation about exactly this, so I can resume my
work on #16326. Is this policy/process documented anywhere? If not,
who implemented it and can confirm / fix our understanding?

Note, however, that Weblate does not create a commit immediately.
To avoid creating tons of commits, it commits more lazily than this.
Worst case, validated strings are committed within one hour or so.
The detailed algorithm wrt. "as Weblate, shall I commit?" is
documented somewhere in the Weblate doc (I would look for "lazy
commit" in there).

>> - Something happens and that commit is merged to cannonical Tails repo.

> After doing some sanity checks on the technical side these modifications
> are automatically merged into the canonical Tails repository.

>> Is that understanding correct? If so:
>>
>> - what's "something" in the last step?

> Replied above. I believe there is a cronjob that handles the pushes, but
> I let intrigeri confirm this.

We indeed have a cronjob, running every 5 minutes, that will do
various things and eventually push to the canonical Tails Git repo.

Relevant pieces of code:
https://git.tails.boum.org/puppet-tails/tree/files/weblate/scripts/cron.sh
https://git.tails.boum.org/puppet-tails/tree/files/weblate/scripts/update_weblate_git.py

IIRC Weblate also pushes its own changes whenever it commits.
I don't remember if we tested this though and more recent versions of
Weblate fix tons of bugs in this area.

>>   - what prevents someone from creating 2 different users in Weblate
>>     and voting to accept their own translations?

> Currently nothing.

Thanks for clarifying this. It will help me work on #16326 :)

>> This are related issues:
>>
>> https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/10331
>> https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/10802
>> https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/10257
>>
>> They seem to conclude that:
>>
>> - suggestions are not made into commits by Weblate.

> This is currently correct.

>> - there should be different roles for users that can accept suggestions
>> and thus let Weblate turn them into commits that could be merged back.

> This is currently, to my knowledge, not the case.

Ouch, indeed, if all the above is correct, it looks very much like the
conclusions from this discussion were not implemented, and as a result
the current system is much more open than intended. This seems like
a serious issue to me. Depending on the remediation plan & timeline we
come up with at the meeting, we may need to temporarily disable pushes
from Weblate to the canonical tails.git until this is resolved.

> I'm happy to explore with you what other options we have.
> Shall we discuss this in a meeting instead of email?

Yes! :)