[Tails-dev] Electron Cash in Tails

Author: Fidel Ramos
To: tails-dev@boum.org
Subject: [Tails-dev] Electron Cash in Tails
Hello everyone. This is my first message to this mailing list. I'm a Tails user, but I haven't contributed code before, just donations.

As you may know Bitcoin Cash is a fork of Bitcoin that has been growing a lot, especially in the past few days. People (including me) have shown interest in having a Bitcoin Cash wallet in Tails, as it's a very secure solution.

The Electron Cash wallet, being a fork of Electrum, would be ideal for inclusion in Tails. Dependencies are almost the same for both, compare:

Electrum install_requires (master)

pyaes>=0.1a1
ecdsa>=0.9
pbkdf2
requests
qrcode
protobuf
dnspython
jsonrpclib-pelix
PySocks>=1.6.6

Electron_cash install_requires (cash)

pyaes
ecdsa>=0.9
pbkdf2
requests
qrcode
protobuf
dnspython
jsonrpclib
PySocks>=1.6.6

As you can see dependencies are the same except that Electron Cash is not pinning the pyaes version (I'm not sure if it will work with Electrum's version), and that Electrum is now using jsonrpclib-pelix instead of jsonrpclib (I don't know if both can be installed at the same time).

Electron Cash as of version 2.9.4 should be able to run side-by-side with Electrum.

Given that dependencies are basically the same I don't expect it to take more than a couple MB.

My proposal is to add Electron Cash to Tails, and for now leave Electrum too, until it's clear whether only the BTC Bitcoin chain will survive, or only BCH, or both coexist.

What are the steps to be followed to get a change like this implemented in Tails? Is there a change approval process? Please let me know how can I help get this done.

This issue in Electron Cash is open in case there are any change requests necessary for inclusion in Tails: https://github.com/fyookball/electrum/issues/171

Cheers,

Fidel Ramos
PGP 7F07 1B7C 479F EDD1 - https://keybase.io/fidel